Moms Site Guidelines and FAQs
Moms.FortWayne.com was created to help you get the most out of having one of the toughest jobs in the world – being a mom. It is a site where you can meet other moms, learn parenting tips and tricks through features and experienced bloggers, share parenting information in discussions, join groups of like-minded women (working moms, moms of multiples, and more), find kid- and family-friendly events in our calendar, and brag about your children by posting photos of them.
Rules of Conduct:
1.) We should have an “A” rating for adult content – meaning subject matter, but that’s it. Vulgar or obscene language will be removed immediately, and you may not gain access to the site again!
2.) We will monitor the site’s content on a regular basis. While we will try to be here all the time, it is not humanly possible. So we ask that you help to keep the discussion respectful and polite by not personally insulting or attacking other members.
3.) Slurs, stereotyping and hate speech are not tolerated, and you will be blocked from the site if you engage in any of these.
4.) Discussions could range from child-rearing and food to religion and sex. If you feel a discussion topic is not appropriate for you or you find it offensive to your tastes, then please avoid that area. There are plenty of other topics of interest available for you.
5.) This site is intended for moms, but it certainly does not exclude other non-moms (or dads) from using the site. Men who would like to join the site are welcome to do so but should limit comments to those issues related to parenting. Non-parenting-related comments could be removed from the site.
6.) Realize that when you seek input on a topic, you will get all sorts of feedback. Some of it – hopefully a lot of it – you will find useful. Some of it you will not agree with. Debates are good, and encouraged, as long as they are conducted in a respectful manner.
7.) Do not ask other members for help in the form of money, gifts or donations.
8.) Do not do anything criminal or illegal on Moms.FortWayne.com or encourage anyone else to do so.
9.) Discussions: Responsibility for what is posted in the discussion groups or other public forums on our site lies with each user – you alone are responsible for the content of your messages and discussions, and the consequences of any such communication. According to the Communications Decency Act, the host site is not liable for this material. Do not use our site to: a) infringe on copyright, patent or trademark materials; b) violate false-advertising statutes; c) libel, threaten, or harass someone else; d) post pornography or other obscene content; e) impersonate or parody any other person or the site’s administration.
10.) Help us keep Moms.FortWayne.com orderly by reporting any problems you see on the site, including posts that break the above rules and anyone you suspect does not belong on Moms.FortWayne.com.
11.) If you would like to discuss Moms.FortWayne.com policies, please contact us directly
Here are answers to some of the questions (below) that you might have about the site.
Q: How do I edit my profile?
A: After you’re logged in, click the “Edit Profile” link under your profile name in the upper-right box.
Q: How do I search the site?
1. To search for content, look for the search box directly above the log-in box in the upper-right area of the page. You can type directly into the search box, or you can click the small, green search icon just beside the box. This takes you to the main search page.
2. Type a search word into the box and click "Search" or hit your Return button.
3. To search for registered users, see the entry below.
Q: How do I check to see if a friend is a member of Moms.FortWayne.com?
A: Look below the login box at the upper-right side of the page for a link that says “Search for friends on Moms.FortWayne.com.” When you click this link, you’ll be taken to a page where you can enter your friend’s e-mail address and click Search. If a registered member with that e-mail address exists, you’ll see a link to their profile. (Note: Members have the option to allow friends to find them using their e-mail address. If they have not agreed to this option, the search will not show their profile even though they are a registered member.)
Q: How do I share content I find on Moms.FortWayne.com?
A: You can share content from Moms.FortWayne.com with your friends both on and off the site. To send to other registered members, simply use the site e-mail provided. To share with friends who are not Moms.FortWayne.com members, just use one of the share icons located under each content item. These icons provide direct links to Facebook, Twitter, Google, Delicious, Myspace and StumbleUpon.
Q: How do I invite a friend to join Moms.FortWayne.com?
A: Look below the login box at the upper-right side of the page for a link that says “Invite your friends to join Moms.FortWayne.com.” When you click this link, you’ll be taken to a page where you can enter your friend’s e-mail address and send them an invitation. (Note: This invitation identifies you only by your Moms.FortWayne.com username. You are able to attach a personal message to the invitation, however, so if you need to identify yourself further, you can do so there.)
Q: How do I create a …
A: To create a discussion, group or group post, you can click the Create link under your profile name in the upper-right box. You will only be able to create a group post for groups in which you are a member. For more detail, see the questions below.
Q: How do I see what discussions are taking place?
A: Click on the Discussions tab. You will see categories of topics, with subcategories in each. Here, you are able to see how many discussions are taking place within each topic. Click on the subcategory to see the posts within. The number at the right edge of each discussion tells how many comments have been made on that discussion.
Q: How do I start a discussion?
1. After you are logged in, go to the Discussions tab and click on "Start a new Discussion."
2. Put in a subject. This will be the title of your post.
3. Choose a discussion group. This is the general category for your post.
4. Type in your discussion comments.
5. Click Save at the bottom of the page..
6. NOTE: You can see all the discussions you've started and access them from the "My Discussions" tab just below the Editor's Picks on the homepage.
Q: How do I edit a discussion?
1. Go to your discussion. (You can only edit discussions that you started.)
2. Click the pink Edit tab below the discussion title.
3. When you’re done making changes, click the Save button.
Q: How do I join a group?
1. Click on the Groups tab. You will see a list of groups. For each listing, there is a “Join” link to the right of the title. Click the link, then click “Join” again on the next screen.
2. From the groups main page, go to the group page in which you are interested. Click the link that says “Join” at the far left.
Q: How do I create a group post?
1. Go to your group page. (You can only create a group post for groups in which you belong.)
2. Click the link that says “Create group post” at the far left.
3. Fill out your information for the group post.
4. When you’re done making changes, click the Save button.
Q: How do I start a group?
1. After you are logged in, go to the Groups tab and click on “Create a new Group.”
2. Put in a title. This will be the name of your group.
3. If you want, you can upload a picture that represents your group using the Browse button. This is not required.
4. Write a brief description for your group. This is what readers will see in the groups directory.
5. Choose a category for your group.
6. Enter information about your group. This is the text that readers will see when they go to your group site.
7. Click Save at the bottom of the page.
Q: How do I edit group information?
1. Go to your group page. (You can only edit groups that you created.)
2. Click the pink Edit tab above the group information.
3. When you’re done making changes, click the Save button near the bottom of the page.
Q: How do I invite a friend to join a group?
1. Go to your group page. (You can only send a group invitation for groups in which you belong.)
2. Click the link that says “Invite friend” at the far left, just below the group title.
3. Enter the e-mail address or username of the Moms.FortWayne.com friend you’d like to invite to join the group.
4. Enter a personal message to the friend (optional) and click “Send invitation.”
Q: How do I send and receive e-mail through the site?
1. After you’re logged in, click the “Messages” link under your username in the upper-right box on the page. This will take you to a page where you can view your e-mail messages. You can send e-mail messages to other Moms.FortWayne.com members by clicking the tab that says “Write new message.”
Q: Can I look up other posts made by a particular user?
A: No. However, you can look up other blog posts by bloggers. Click the Blogs tab to see a list of all bloggers and posts.
Q: Can I delete a post?
A: No. You can edit your own post to remove text from it, but you cannot delete it entirely. Contact us if you feel your post needs to be deleted.
Q: Can I advertise my business in the discussions on your site?
A: Our Moms Marketplace section is the only place you can advertise your business, and it's strictly limited to home-based businesses. Here are the ways you can mention your home-based business:
• You may advertise your in-home childcare or baby-sitting business in the marketplace area one time per month. Multiple posts will be deleted and may put your account in jeopardy. Those seeking childcare may also post in the Moms Marketplace announcing what they're looking for. We advise against making your phone number or e-mail address publicly viewable on your profile. Simply ask people to e-mail you through our site if they are interested.
• You may also describe your business on your personal profile page, so that anyone clicking on your screen name will see your information.
• You may advertise your direct-sales business in the Moms Marketplace section or in the About Me section of your personal profile.
• Any posts made to recruit others into a business must state the name of the business and be clear about how money is made.
• Any advertising-like posts that do not follow these guidelines will be moved to the appropriate forum or deleted. This obviously includes duplicate ad-like messages made in multiple forums or groups, all of which will be deleted. Also, please do not send unsolicited private e-mails to our members in order to promote your business. This may result in your being banned from the site.
• We reserve the right to delete posts or block any members whom we feel are abusing our advertising policies.
Q: Are garage/yard/community sale posts allowed?
A: Yes, but only in the Moms Marketplace area. You are not allowed to post multiple times for the same sale. If you abuse this option, your post may be deleted.
Q: How can I buy or sell a used item on Moms.FortWayne.com?
A: You may post your used items for sale/wanted in our Moms Marketplace section.
Q: How do I upload photos to Moms.FortWayne.com?
A: You can submit photos to Moms.FortWayne.com via our Photo Submit page. These photos are collected and displayed in our Photo Galleries. You can also add a photo to discussions.
To submit a photo to the site:
1. Click the link to Submit Photos under Features or Extras, or go to http://moms.fortwayne.com/?q=page/photosubmit.
2. On the upload page, click on the "Browse" button and select the photo from your computer. Once a photo has been selected, click the "Upload photo" button to complete the upload. You will then be asked to submit any basic information you want included about the photo you have uploaded. Click the "Add photo information" button when you are finished.
3. Only ".jpg" formatted images can be uploaded via this method.
To add a photo to a discussion:
1. Click the link to Start a new Discussion (you must be logged in to do this).
2. In the Image field, click the "Browse" button and select the photo from your computer. Click the "Upload" button when you are finished.
3. Remember to fill out all required fields on the Create Discussion page.
4. Images with the following extensions can be uploaded via this method: ".jpg" ".jpeg" and ".png". A maximum file size of 35 MB is allowed.
Q: What are the guidelines for behavior in the forums?
A: See Expectations entry above.
Q: What action should I take if I am verbally attacked or threatened, or spammed?
A: You can use the "Report this" link. This e-mail goes directly to the site moderators.
Q: What's the best way to handle a discussion that is becoming heated?
A: Let it go for a while. Taking a break will give you and them a chance to calm down.
Q: What can I do about obnoxious users or posts I consider objectionable?
A: You can use the "Report this" link. This e-mail goes directly to the site moderators.
Q: I didn't receive the e-mail confirming my account or sending me a new password.
A: Please check in your junk or spam email folders. Sometimes messages sent from our site end up there. For other technical questions, please contact us.
Q: I think my Moms.FortWayne.com password was sent to an old/invalid e-mail address. What should I do?
A: Contact us with your username. We will change your e-mail address, and a new password will be sent to you. Once you’re logged in, you may change your password by clicking the Edit Profile link just below your username in the login box.