Shake off the chill with downtown's Winterval Jan. 26
Beat the winter blahs by bringing the whole family downtown for the annual Winterval festival, Saturday, Jan. 26.
The Foellinger-Freimann Botanical Conservatory will offer $1 off admission to their “Mighty Jungle Adventure” 10 a.m.–3 p.m. There will also be indoor snowmaking at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m., a bagel bird feeder craft, cookies and hot chocolate. Arrive early for the 2 p.m. ice carving and see if you can guess what the sculpture will be. You might win a prize!
The Winter Carnival returns to the Community Center 1–4 p.m. This free event includes horse-drawn wagon rides, indoor curling, ice fishing, snow crafts, pinewood derby (bring your car) and an ice carving at 3 p.m.
Here is the rest of the Winterval schedule:
• 10 a.m.–5 p.m., Science Central: regular admission. Warm up with half-price admission and enjoy great hands-on activities, including making ice cream using liquid nitrogen or making glacial gak!
• 10 a.m.–5 p.m., The Old Fort: free admission. Relive winter life on the frontier in the early 1700s with French military, civilians and local Native Americans. Bake sale in the modern building.
• 11 a.m.–2 p.m., Allen County Public Library: free admission. Ice carving at 11 a.m. and frozen bubbles noon-2 p.m. on the ACPL Plaza. Kids’ crafts in Children's Services all day.
• 11 a.m.–10 p.m., Headwaters Park Ice Rink: regular admission. Public skating with figure skating exhibitions at 1:15, 2:15, 3:15 and 4:15.
• Noon–5 p.m., History Center: half-price admission. Enjoy a collection of more than 26,000 artifacts, photographs and documents representing the history of Fort Wayne and Allen County.
• 1–3 p.m., Lawton Park: Free Admission. Polar bear rugby game, Fort Wayne Rugby Club vs. Indiana University-Purdue University, Fort Wayne.
• 4–8 p.m., Arts United Center: Watch ice carving on the plaza from 4–6 p.m., then preview IPFW and FW Youtheatre’s “Oliver” at 5:30. The Fringe Festival Teaser begins at 6 p.m., followed by a Salsa Loca dance party at 7:30 p.m.
• 4–6 p.m., Arts United Plaza: Ice carvings
NEW THIS YEAR: The Penguin Hunt. Each Winterval site will have its own official Winterval Penguin. Locate each penguin and enter its name on your official Penguin Hunt form. Submit your completed entry form at a Winterval location designated on the form to be entered into a prize drawing. Entry forms can be found at www.fortwayneparks.org or at most Winterval locations. For much more information about Winterval, visit www.fortwayneparks.org.